Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Business & Education
Fri November 30, 2012
AP: Resigned UA President Making $535K Annually
The University of Alabama is still paying ex-President Guy Bailey $535,000 a year even though he resigned after just two months on the job.
Bailey cited his wife's health in unexpectedly quitting in late October. But university system spokeswoman Kellee Reinhart told The Associated Press on Friday that Bailey remains on the university payroll.
Bailey is officially on leave through August. He could return to campus as an English professor after that.
System Chancellor Robert Witt says Bailey would be a "tremendous asset" if he decides to move to the classroom, and that's part of the reason he was given paid leave.
Bailey was replaced as president by former provost Judy Bonner. The school says her compensation package is the same as Bailey's, a salary of $535,000 with incentives that make it worth as much as $652,000.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.