Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Fri March 29, 2013
Alabama's Best Barbecue Contest Down to Final 8
The Alabama Tourism Department's contest for the best barbecue restaurant in the state is down to the final eight.
The department's Brian Jones said the contest on Facebook pits Jim 'N Nick's in Birmingham against Tuscaloosa's Dreamland in the central division. Big Bob Gibson in Decatur is matched against Lawlers in Athens to represent north Alabama. Sam's BBQ in Montgomery and Lannie's in Selma are competing in the south region. L.A. BBQ in Summerdale is going against The Shed in Mobile for the Gulf region. The four regional winners will be decided Saturday afternoon.
Jones said more than 40,000 votes have been cast since the original field of 32 was announced March 11. The overall winner will be announced April 8.
The voting is part of the department's Year of Alabama Food campaign.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Alabama Barbecue Competition