Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Business & Education
Wed November 28, 2012
Alabama Treasurer Announces Scholarship Program
State Treasurer Young Boozer has announced a new state scholarship program that's aimed at Alabama students who are often overlooked for financial assistance.
Boozer said the new CollegeCounts Scholarship program is for Alabama students who make an ACT score of 26 or below, have a minimum grade point average of 2.75, and demonstrate financial need. It will provide a one-time award of $4,000 for a student enrolling in a four-year college and $2,000 for a student enrolling in a two-year college. Eligible students may apply online from Jan. 2 through March 7 at: http://www.collegecountsalabama.com
Strange expects up to $600,000 in scholarships in the first year. Money for the scholarships comes from administrative fees from Alabama's CollegeCounts 529 Fund and surplus funds from the Alabama Higher Education Loan Corp.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.