Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Ala. Speaker's New Post
Tue July 31, 2012
Alabama Speaker To Lead Southern Legislative Group
Alabama House Speaker Republican Rep. Mike Hubbard of Auburn has been elected chairman of the Southern Legislative Conference. Hubbard was elected chairman of the organization that includes legislators from 15 Southern states at the organization's annual meeting Tuesday in Charleston, W.Va. As chairman, Hubbard will be host of next year's meeting in Mobile. Hubbard was the unanimous choice to replace West Virginia House Speaker Rick Thompson as chairman. Hubbard said the conference provides quality assistance and research for legislators whether they are Republicans or Decmocrats. He said he's committed to maintaining the organization's value as a resource for lawmakers. Member states of the organization include Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia. Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.