Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed August 25, 2004
Alabama Soldier Killed in Iraq
By Alabama Public Radio
Baghdad, Iraq – An Alabama soldier has died in Iraq. The Army reports Staff Sergeant Robert Thornton Junior was killed Monday while patrolling Baghdad. His group was attacked with a rocket-propelled grenade. He was 35 years old. Thornton listed Rainbow City in Etowah County as his home, but a relative says he was raised in Guntersville. Thornton spent 14 years in the Army and served in the First Cavalry Division based at Fort Hood, Texas. Fort officials say he is the 99th soldier from Fort Hood killed in Iraq since the war began.