Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Alabama Fire Deaths
Wed January 22, 2014
Alabama Sees Alarming Spike In Fire Deaths In 2014
Alabama fire officials say the state has seen an alarming increase in fire deaths.
19 people have died in fires across the state so far this year.
In 2012, 71 people died in Alabama fires. Only six of them died in January 2012, well below the number of people who have died so far this year.
In Jefferson County alone, seven people died in fires in the first 21 days of 2014. There were only two for the same time period last year. In all of 2013, there were 24 fire fatalities.
Birmingham Fire Battalion Chief C.W. Mardis said an unfortunate result of cold weather is an influx of fires related to heating sources.