Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
Arts & Life
Mon May 26, 2014
Alabama remembers its veterans
MONTEVALLO, Ala. (AP) - A ceremony will mark Memorial Day at the Alabama National Cemetery in Montevalllo. U.S. Rep. Spencer Bachus will be among the leaders at the event, planned for Monday morning in Shelby County. The Republican congressman worked for years to obtain funding for the cemetery, which was authorized nine years ago. Located beside a Colonial-style attraction called American Village, the cemetery will eventually include about 480 acres. The first phase will have room for the remains of more than 11,000 veterans.