Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Arts & Life
Mon May 26, 2014
Alabama remembers its veterans
MONTEVALLO, Ala. (AP) - A ceremony will mark Memorial Day at the Alabama National Cemetery in Montevalllo. U.S. Rep. Spencer Bachus will be among the leaders at the event, planned for Monday morning in Shelby County. The Republican congressman worked for years to obtain funding for the cemetery, which was authorized nine years ago. Located beside a Colonial-style attraction called American Village, the cemetery will eventually include about 480 acres. The first phase will have room for the remains of more than 11,000 veterans.