Most Active Stories
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Lang Lang In Concert At The Met Museum
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
New License Plates
Tue August 27, 2013
Alabama Motorists Getting New License Plates Soon
Alabama's standard license plate is switching from a coastal scene to the mountains of north Alabama.
The state Revenue Department says the new tag will be available Jan. 1. It will replace the "Sweet Home Alabama" tag that promotes Alabama's coast. State Tourism Department spokesman Brian Jones says the new tag is designed with mountains and a lake reminiscent of north Alabama and is designed to show that Alabama has those attractions. The new license plate doesn't include the "Sweet Home Alabama" slogan that was on the old tag.
The Revenue Department is also coming out with a new "God Bless America" tag Oct. 1. It has the American flag positioned differently, but it still says "God Bless America" across the bottom.