Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
New License Plates
Tue August 27, 2013
Alabama Motorists Getting New License Plates Soon
Alabama's standard license plate is switching from a coastal scene to the mountains of north Alabama.
The state Revenue Department says the new tag will be available Jan. 1. It will replace the "Sweet Home Alabama" tag that promotes Alabama's coast. State Tourism Department spokesman Brian Jones says the new tag is designed with mountains and a lake reminiscent of north Alabama and is designed to show that Alabama has those attractions. The new license plate doesn't include the "Sweet Home Alabama" slogan that was on the old tag.
The Revenue Department is also coming out with a new "God Bless America" tag Oct. 1. It has the American flag positioned differently, but it still says "God Bless America" across the bottom.