Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Politics & Government
Fri July 11, 2014
Alabama Man Charged with Threatening the President
An Ozark man is in jail on a charge of threatening the president.
The Secret Service brought charges against Deryke Matthew Pfeifer on July 3. He's accused of making phone calls to the Federal Protective Service and using Facebook to threaten the president. Court papers say Pfeifer posted one threatening video holding a Glock pistol, and a Glock was later found at his residence.
Secret Service agent Marcus Shumack filed an affidavit saying that Pfeiffer told him in an interview that God was going to destroy the president and everything around him.
Federal prosecutors are seeking a mental competency examination.
The director of the Federal Defenders Office in Montgomery, Christine Freeman, calls it a complicated case. She says more about Pfeiffer's status will come out at court hearing Wednesday.