Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue May 4, 2004
Alabama Guardsmen Recovering From Wounds
By Alabama Public Radio
Baghdad, Iraq – Four Alabama National Guardsmen are recovering from wounds after a Saturday evening attack in Iraq. Guard spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Bob Horton says the members are part of the Fort McClellan-based 11-51st Engineer Team. Their convoy was attacked about 6 p-m Saturday south of Baghdad. Their names are being withheld, but the Army's Central Command in Baghdad says they suffered minor shrapnel and gunshot wounds. Horton says the attack occurred as the unit was headed to Kuwait on the first part of its return trip to Alabama. The 11-51st has been in Iraq since January of last year. They've been rebuilding civilian and military plumbing and electricity systems.