Most Active Stories
- Updated: Future of Wind Power in Alabama at a Defining Moment
- Hard Times at the Mill: International Paper to Close Courtland Facility
- Adapted Athletics in Alabama Part 1: The Rolling Tide
- Understanding How Employers May Change Your Retirement Fund
- Bill Would Allow Loaded Guns in Cars Without Concealed Carry Permit
Lyon Off Ballot
Fri August 17, 2012
Alabama Democrats Remove Chief Justice Candidate
Alabama Democrats have removed Harry Lyon as their nominee for chief justice of the state Supreme Court.
A party committee made the decision Friday. It came after Lyon addressed party officials during a hearing in Birmingham. Lyon has made disparaging remarks about homosexuals and Republican opponent Roy Moore in interviews and on Facebook.
Lyon's statement to the panel veered from his personal Christian faith to claims of political wrongdoing going back decades. He says he didn't have much time to prepare a defense because his house was flooded and his dog died.
The party summoned Lyons to the hearing to prove he was fit to be its nominee. Lyon won the nomination after no one else qualified to run.
The party can now pick someone else to oppose Moore.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.