Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Mon December 24, 2012
Alabama braces for possible violent weather on Xmas
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Forecasters are warning of a high risk of severe weather in parts of Alabama on Christmas Day. The National Weather Service said in a report Monday morning that a powerful low pressure system will sweep across Alabama, bringing the risk of twisters -- some of them possibly strong tornadoes. The weather service's Mobile office projects that southwest Alabama will at a substantial risk of severe weather on Christmas Day. A special weather statement states there's a risk of these storms producing tornadoes during the day, with some strong tornadoes possible. Forecasters say it's likely the storms will also produce large hail.