Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Business & Education
Fri July 19, 2013
Alabama Back-to-School Sales Tax Holiday Aug. 2-4
Alabama retailers are getting ready for the annual tax free weekend for back-to-school merchandise.
The state will waive its 4 percent sales tax from Friday, Aug. 2 through Sunday, Aug. 4. The Alabama Retail Association reports that a record 274 Alabama cities and counties are waiving their local sales taxes during that weekend.
Items covered by the tax holiday include clothing priced at $100 or less, school supplies costing $50 or less, books that cost $30 or less, and computers and computer equipment selling for $750 or less.
The Retail Association says Alabama is one of 17 states with back-to-school sales tax holidays. Florida and Tennessee are having their holidays the same time as Alabama. Georgia's tax holiday is the weekend after Alabama's.