Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Business & Education
Fri July 19, 2013
Alabama Back-to-School Sales Tax Holiday Aug. 2-4
Alabama retailers are getting ready for the annual tax free weekend for back-to-school merchandise.
The state will waive its 4 percent sales tax from Friday, Aug. 2 through Sunday, Aug. 4. The Alabama Retail Association reports that a record 274 Alabama cities and counties are waiving their local sales taxes during that weekend.
Items covered by the tax holiday include clothing priced at $100 or less, school supplies costing $50 or less, books that cost $30 or less, and computers and computer equipment selling for $750 or less.
The Retail Association says Alabama is one of 17 states with back-to-school sales tax holidays. Florida and Tennessee are having their holidays the same time as Alabama. Georgia's tax holiday is the weekend after Alabama's.