Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Politics & Government
Tue August 6, 2013
Ala Wildlife Group Honors NRA President with Award
The Alabama Wildlife Federation is honoring a Birmingham attorney and gun rights leader as its conservationist of the year.
The organization recently presented the honor to James W. Porter II, who made news earlier this year when he became president of the National Rifle Association.
The wildlife group credits Porter with helping develop the state's original Forever Wild legislation in the early 1990s to protect natural areas.
He later served on the Forever Wild Land Trust Board and helped bring about important land purchases, like in the Mobile-Tensaw Delta in southwest Alabama.
Most recently Porter has gained notice for his criticism of President Barack Obama and efforts to clamp down on assault weapons.