Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue April 9, 2013
Ala. Governor Signs Abortion Clinic Regulations
Alabama's governor has signed into law stricter abortion clinic regulations.
Gov. Robert Bentley signed the bill Tuesday at the Capitol while surrounded by legislators who supported it.
The new law requires clinics to use doctors who have approval to admit patients to local hospitals. Bentley, who is a physician, said a doctor who can't get admitting privileges from a hospital probably ought not to be practicing in the state.
The bill also sets stricter building standards for abortion clinics, and it gives them a couple of months to comply.
Opponents of the new law say it aims to close clinics, and they expect it to be challenged in court like a similar law enacted in Mississippi last year.
Abortion Clinic Bill
2013 Legislative Session