Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
- Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore Speaks Out on Same Sex Marriage Ruling
Tue April 9, 2013
Ala. Governor Signs Abortion Clinic Regulations
Alabama's governor has signed into law stricter abortion clinic regulations.
Gov. Robert Bentley signed the bill Tuesday at the Capitol while surrounded by legislators who supported it.
The new law requires clinics to use doctors who have approval to admit patients to local hospitals. Bentley, who is a physician, said a doctor who can't get admitting privileges from a hospital probably ought not to be practicing in the state.
The bill also sets stricter building standards for abortion clinics, and it gives them a couple of months to comply.
Opponents of the new law say it aims to close clinics, and they expect it to be challenged in court like a similar law enacted in Mississippi last year.
Abortion Clinic Bill
2013 Legislative Session