Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Business & Education
Wed January 23, 2013
Ala. Farmer Chosen as Spokesman for National Group
An Alabama dairy farmer has been chosen to serve as a spokesman for a national farmers' association.
Will Gilmer, of Lamar County, will serve as one of four national spokesmen for the U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance. Officials say Gilmer and other winners were selected from a pool of more than 100 applicants in the national Faces of Farming and Ranching program.
As a spokesman for the U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance, Gilmer will help educate consumers on how food is grown and cultivated.
Gilmer and his father have owned and operated a farm since Gilmer's grandfather established it in the 1950s. They milk 200 cows and manage 600 acres of land. Officials say Gilmer will receive a $10,000 stipend.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.