Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Business & Education
Wed January 23, 2013
Ala. Farmer Chosen as Spokesman for National Group
An Alabama dairy farmer has been chosen to serve as a spokesman for a national farmers' association.
Will Gilmer, of Lamar County, will serve as one of four national spokesmen for the U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance. Officials say Gilmer and other winners were selected from a pool of more than 100 applicants in the national Faces of Farming and Ranching program.
As a spokesman for the U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance, Gilmer will help educate consumers on how food is grown and cultivated.
Gilmer and his father have owned and operated a farm since Gilmer's grandfather established it in the 1950s. They milk 200 cows and manage 600 acres of land. Officials say Gilmer will receive a $10,000 stipend.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.