Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon December 22, 2003
Airports Add More Security
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Airports in Birmingham, Montgomery, Mobile and Huntsville are boosting their security efforts. The nation's terror alert status was upgraded from elevated to high over the weekend. Jim Walker, director of Alabama's Homeland Security Department, says authorities will search more vehicles and parking areas close to the airports will be closed. Governor Bob Riley has placed extra state troopers and National Guard soldiers at the airports. Federal Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge says terrorist attacks are possible, but he's encouraging travelers not to cancel their plans.