Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Civil Rights rally
Fri February 22, 2013
Activists Planning Rally at US Supreme Court
Civil rights advocates plan to rally in Washington, D.C. while the U.S. Supreme Court hears arguments on whether to uphold Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act.
Southern Christian Leadership Conference CEO Charles Steele says the group of about 150 will leave Washington D.C. Feb. 27 after a rally and press conference outside the U.S. Supreme Court. Section 5 of the act bars states from altering voting qualifications and procedures without federal approval.
Steele says the caravan will travel through Richmond, Va. Feb. 27 and will also make stops in Charlotte, N.C., Greenville, S.C. and Atlanta on Feb. 28. The group has planned to hold press conferences and rallies in each city.
The group also plans to visit Alabama. Separate rallies are scheduled in Selma, Montgomery and Birmingham March 1.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.