Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
Fri August 22, 2014
7 Days Of Marches Planned Around Alabama Capitol
More than 20 people, including civil rights leaders and ministers, have marched around the state Capitol and Statehouse in the first day of a seven-day protest that stretches across the Southeast.
Democratic state Sen. Hank Sanders of Selma says the marchers in Alabama are joining those in North Carolina, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida and Virginia to protest attacks on civil and human rights.
The Alabama group marched around the Capitol and Statehouse in hot, humid weather Friday afternoon. It plans to repeat the march for six more days. Sanders said they are inspired by the biblical story of Joshua marching around the walls of Jericho until they fell on the seventh day. He said many rights gained in the 1960s are under attack within the walls of both buildings.