Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Mon July 8, 2013
'66 Volvo Set To Hit 3 Million Miles In September
Originally published on Mon July 8, 2013 12:27 pm
It's been a year since we posted about Irv Gordon and his 1966 Volvo P1800S, and as you would expect from someone who had already put 2.97 million miles on his car already, he hasn't stopped driving.
Volvo is projecting that this coming September in Alaska, Gordon and his P1800S will drive their 3 millionth mile.
With that, according to a package we got in the mail from the car company on Monday, "Gordon will reach a milestone no other individual has accomplished, nor likely will ever accomplish."
We're also intrigued by some of the "Irv Gordon fun facts" Volvo sent us:
"0 = the number of people besides Gordon who have driven his P1800." [We assume that's not counting a mechanic or two.]
"11 = the number of collisions Gordon has been in."
"48 = out of the 50 U.S. states Gordon's P1800 has seen."
"3 million miles = driving around the earth 126 times."
The company is riding Gordon's record for all its worth. It's got a "3 Million Reasons to Believe" website tracking "Irv's story."
We'll keep an eye on his progress.