Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Arts & Life
Tue June 17, 2014
50 in Mobile for 'Distinguished Young Woman'
Fifty participants in the Distinguished Young Women program are in Mobile for two weeks of activities leading up to the final night on June 28.
They are vying for scholarship awards and the title of Distinguished Young Woman of America.
Their schedule includes lots of rehearsals and appearances. The participants are staying with host families in Mobile and will get to try Gulf coast foods while in the port city.
Tennessee's Distinguished Young Woman, Courtney Miller, says she is planning on trying oysters for the first time, but she's a little apprehensive.
Arizona's Distinguished Young Woman, Jaylia Yan, told WKRG-TV that she loves fried food and is looking forward to the southern version.