Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Alabama Traffic Deaths
Mon July 8, 2013
4 Killed In Ala. Fourth Of July Weekend Crashes
Alabama Department of Public Safety officials say four people were killed in crashes during the Fourth of July travel period.
The holiday travel period began at 12:01 a.m. Thursday and ended at midnight on Sunday. State patrol officials say they investigated 434 traffic crashes, which resulted in 154 injuries.
The four traffic fatalities don't include traffic accidents that were investigated by other law enforcement agencies. Officials say they're unsure of whether alcohol was linked to any of the crashes and seatbelts were used in one of the four deadly accidents.
Authorities say they issued 2,126 speeding citations, 607 seatbelt and child restraint citations and arrested 59 people for driving under the influence.
State troopers say nine people died in traffic accidents during the Fourth of July travel period in 2012.
Politics & Government