Tuscaloosa Bar Shooting

Copper Top Bar Shooting
7:41 am
Thu May 2, 2013

Man Seeks Death Penalty in Ala Bar Shooting

45-year-old Nathan Van Wilkins is accused of opening fire at the Copper Top bar in Temerson Square July 2012.
abcnews.go.com

A man accused of injuring 18 people in a shooting at a Tuscaloosa bar says he wants the death penalty.


The Tuscaloosa News (http://bit.ly/12qW7lR ) reports that 45-year-old Nathan Wilkins made the request in a letter written to a judge.


Wilkins writes that it used to make him mad to have to pay taxes to support people sentenced to life.


Wilkins says he doesn't want to spend the rest of his life behind bars, and he's asking the judge for a death sentence.

Read more
Tuscaloosa Bar Shooting
7:24 am
Wed April 10, 2013

Trial Date Set for Man in Tuscaloosa Bar Shooting

45-year-old Nathan Van Wilkins is accused of opening fire at the Copper Top bar in Temerson Square July 2012.
abcnews.go.com

A trial date has been set for a man accused in a July 2012 shooting that left 18 people injured at a Tuscaloosa bar.


Nathan Van Wilkins is accused of opening fire on patrons at the Copper Top bar in July 2012. The Tuscaloosa News Tuesday reported (http://bit.ly/16KjBXn ) he's scheduled to appear in court May 6. The man is also accused to shooting a man at a house in Northport and setting fire to his former workplace and the house of his former co-worker.

Read more
Arts & Life
6:30 am
Thu January 3, 2013

Ala. Man Says He Does Not Remember Bar Shooting

45-year-old Nathan Van Wilkins is accused of opening fire at the Copper Top bar in Temerson Square July 2012.
abcnews.go.com

(Information in the following story is from: The Tuscaloosa News, http://www.tuscaloosanews.com)


The 45-year-old man accused of opening fire on a bar in downtown Tuscaloosa says he does not remember the incident because of medications he was taking at the time.


The Tuscaloosa News reports Nathan Van Wilkins claims to have no memory of using an assault rifle to shoot at 18 people with an assault rifle at the Copper Top bar in Temerson Square.

Read more
Politics & Government
5:10 pm
Sun August 12, 2012

Tuscaloosa grand jury indicts "Copper Top" shooting suspect

APR

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — A man accused of a shooting rampage in Tuscaloosa that injured 18 people has been indicted on charges of attempted murder and assault. A grand jury returned a 68-count indictment Thursday charging 44-year-old Nathan Wilkins with 19 counts of attempted murder and 19 counts of first-degree assault. He was also charged with 17 counts of second-degree assault and two counts of shooting into an occupied building. The suspect also faces arson charges for allegedly setting fires before and after last month's shooting.

Read more
Tuscaloosa Bar Shooting
5:18 pm
Tue July 24, 2012

Preliminary Hearing Set For Bar Shootings Suspect

The man accused of shooting 18 people in Tuscaloosa and Northport last week is scheduled to have a preliminary hearing in Tuscaloosa County District Court at 9 a.m. on Sept. 7.

44-year-old Nathan Wilkins is scheduled for the preliminary hearing on charges including 18 counts of attempted murder and two counts of shooting into an occupied building. He was charged in shootings at a Northport home and at the Copper Top, a downtown Tuscaloosa bar.