Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Tue March 26, 2013
Women's Hoops: UConn Rolls As Kansas And Oklahoma Score Upsets
Originally published on Tue March 26, 2013 10:07 am
If it's March and there's madness, then the University of Connecticut women's basketball team must be in the middle of it all.
For the 20th consecutive season, the UConn women have advanced to the regional semifinals (the Sweet 16) of the NCAA Division I basketball championships. The Huskies beat Vanderbilt on Monday night by a score of 77-44. Their next opponent: the University of Maryland, on Saturday in Bridgeport, Conn. (The women's brackets and schedules are posted here.)
Also Monday, as ESPN's Quick Dish blog reports, Oklahoma's women upset UCLA by a score of 85-72 and the women from Kansas upset South Carolina, 75-69.
Baylor won the championship in 2012. Connecticut has been the champion seven times — most recently in 2010. The NCAA has the list of champions posted here.
We've also been covering the men's championship, of course. Our most recent post: Florida Gulf Coast University: This Year's Cinderella Story In 10 Shots.