Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri October 8, 2004
Woman With Transplanted Ovary Now Pregant
By Alabama Public Radio
Muscle Shoals, AL – A 24 year old Muscle Shoals woman recently underwent the first known ovary transplant in the United States. Now, Stephanie Yarber is pregnant. Yarber received an ovary from her twin sister Melanie Morgan of Tuscumbia during an April operation in St. Louis. Yarber recently confirmed her pregnancy with a home test and a blood test from a physician. Doctor Michael Steinkampf, head of the fertility clinic at UAB Hospital, says ovarian transplants require the donor and recipient to have matching DNA.