Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed January 26, 2005
Widow of Red Blount Dies in North Carolina
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Carolyn Blount has died at the age of 79. Blount was the widow of Alabama industrialist and philanthropist Winton "Red" Blount. Carolyn Blount was instrumental in moving the Alabama Shakespeare Festival from Anniston to Montgomery. The site is now a large cultural park that includes a theatre building that bears her name. She also served on the Shakespeare Festival board before marrying Blount in 1981. Carolyn Blount died Tuesday at her home in North Carolina. Visitation is set for Friday at the Blount estate in Montgomery. A graveside service is scheduled for Saturday at the chapel on the grounds.