Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- Gay marriage update, homeless census and National Drug Facts Week
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
Politics & Government
Fri June 27, 2014
Wiccan Says He was Barred from Doing Invocation
A member of the Wiccan faith says he was set to give the opening invocation at a Huntsville City Council meeting until he was asked about his faith, then told he was no longer invited to do so.
Huntsville City Attorney Peter Joffrion said that when the agenda for Thursday's meeting was made public earlier this week, council members received community concerns about a Wiccan being invited to speak.
Blake Kirk tells WHNT-TV that his invitation was rescinded after he acknowledged that he is a Wiccan.
Huntsville's long-standing tradition of opening meetings with prayer came under fire by the Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation in 2012. The city then made an effort to include more faiths, but Blake says what happened to him isn't right.