Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri February 8, 2013
Watts Named President At UAB
The dean of UAB's medical school has been named president of the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
Trustees selected Dr. Ray L. Watts for the position on Friday.
The Birmingham native has been dean of UAB's medical school since 2010.
Watts replaces Carol Garrison, who served as president for a decade before stepping down in August.
Watts graduated from UAB with an engineering degree in 1976. He earned his medical degree at Washington University in St. Louis.
Besides being medical dean and a senior vice president, Watts was chairman of UAB's neurology department. He also served as president of the University of Alabama Health Services Foundation.
Watts' wife recently retired as a nurse from UAB.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Garrison Steps Down