Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Fri July 11, 2014
WATCH: Giant Undulating Anchovy School
Originally published on Fri July 11, 2014 2:35 pm
It's the biggest aggregation of anchovies seen in near-shore waters in three decades, according to scientists at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California, San Diego.
We're a bit late picking up on this (the school was first noticed at Scripps Pier at La Jolla on Monday and the video was shot on Tuesday), but member station KPBS spotted it in a more timely fashion.
At about 0:40 into the footage, the anchovies school in an interesting way, apparently to avoid a predator. Later in the video, a small shark is seen in their midst.