Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Arts & Life
Tue March 19, 2013
WATCH: After 'Fascist' Accusations, Ukrainian Parliament Brawls
Originally published on Tue March 19, 2013 3:49 pm
You thought our politics were bad. If you need a fresh reminder that it could be worse: Official business at Ukraine's parliament was suspended for a short time, while MPs exchanged punches.
Russia Today has video:
"The brawl began with yelling over the language used in the chamber and 'fascist' accusations from both sides.
"The session was opened by the head of the ruling Party of Regions, Aleksandr Efremov, speaking in Russian, a language his opponents manifest that they strongly dislike. Ukrainian Liberty Party members made sure nobody could hear the speech by chanting 'Speak Ukrainian!' out loud and drumming with their hands against the desks."
The BBC reports that this is a bigger struggle between the politicians favored by "Russian-speaking Ukrainians in the east and south of the country" and those "in western Ukraine, where Ukrainian dominates."