Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
6th District Election
Wed October 2, 2013
Ward, Williams Won't Seek Alabama's 6th District
Republican state Sen. Cam Ward of Alabaster and Republican Rep. Jack Williams of Vestavia Hills say they will seek re-election to the Legislature rather than running for the 6th Congressional District.
Ward and Williams were among several Alabama politicians who said they were considering the 6th District race after Republican incumbent Spencer Bachus of Birmingham announced Monday that he would not seek re-election next year.
Ward and Williams said Wednesday they were honored by the encouragement they received, but now is not the time to go to Washington.
Ward says he likes to get things done for his constituents and serving in a "dysfunctional Congress" that can't keep government operating is not the best place for someone like him.
Williams said Washington needs help, but he loves what he's doing.
Spencer Bachus Retires