Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Alabama Governor Robert Bentley releases statement on gay marriage ruling
6th District Election
Wed October 2, 2013
Ward, Williams Won't Seek Alabama's 6th District
Republican state Sen. Cam Ward of Alabaster and Republican Rep. Jack Williams of Vestavia Hills say they will seek re-election to the Legislature rather than running for the 6th Congressional District.
Ward and Williams were among several Alabama politicians who said they were considering the 6th District race after Republican incumbent Spencer Bachus of Birmingham announced Monday that he would not seek re-election next year.
Ward and Williams said Wednesday they were honored by the encouragement they received, but now is not the time to go to Washington.
Ward says he likes to get things done for his constituents and serving in a "dysfunctional Congress" that can't keep government operating is not the best place for someone like him.
Williams said Washington needs help, but he loves what he's doing.
Spencer Bachus Retires