Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Arts & Life
Wed October 3, 2012
Volunteers From UAE Help Rebuild Tuscaloosa
More than a dozen volunteers from the United Arab Emirates are helping to rebuild damage in Tuscaloosa from the April 27, 2011, tornado.
The Tuscaloosa News reports (http://bit.ly/SxLkoJ ) that the 13 volunteers traveled more than 30 hours to get to Tuscaloosa this week. They're part of a volunteer social program called Takatof, part of the Emirates Foundation for Youth Development. Takatof has helped mobilize volunteers and has sent them all over the world, including China, Korea, Africa and Pakistan.
Last year, a group of volunteers went to Joplin, Mo., to help rebuild homes there after the devastating tornado wiped out much of that city. Organization members say the Missouri trip was such a rewarding experience for the volunteers that another trip was planned, this time to Tuscaloosa.
Information from: The Tuscaloosa News, http://www.tuscaloosanews.com
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press