Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Logan Martin Lake cleanup
Sat March 16, 2013
Volunteers to Help Clean Logan Martin
Organizers are expecting hundreds of volunteers for a big cleanup of Logan Martin Lake that starts this weekend.
The weeklong event begins Saturday and is being put together by the Logan Martin Lake Protection Association.
The group is signing up workers and providing bags, latex gloves and T-shirts. Volunteers will use boats to reach areas that aren't accessible by foot.
The Daily Home of Talladega reports that almost 20 tons of debris was removed during just one cleanup.
While there's presumably less garbage to remove from the lake this year, more people are participating.
Cleanup chairman Justin Hogeland says the mayors from Lincoln, Riverside and Pell City will cook and prepare hotdogs for volunteers as a way to say thanks.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.