Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Mon January 13, 2014
Volkswagen To Invest $7 Billion In North American Operations
Originally published on Mon January 13, 2014 11:18 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
NPR's business news starts with a little German engineering.
(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC)
INSKEEP: Volkswagen has announced plans to invest $7 billion in its North American operations. It's part of an effort to boost sales in the United States, which slid 7 percent last year. A new seven-seat SUV designed specifically for the American market is a central part of the new investment plan.
It is believed the new vocal will be built at VW's plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.