Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Blastoff for NASA's Orion Capsule! Muscle Shoals and the Rolling Stones
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Mon July 9, 2012
Video surveillance added at Alabama Statehouse
Legislative committee rooms at the Alabama Statehouse in Montgomery are getting video surveillance equipment.
The Alabama Department of Homeland Security announced it has awarded a grant of $72,836 to perform the work. Homeland Security Director Spencer Collier is a former legislator. He says the investment will protect legislators, staff and visitors to the Statehouse.
Officials say the equipment is being added in space previously used by the state attorney general that has now been converted to meeting rooms for legislative committees.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)