Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue June 25, 2013
VIDEO For Nelson Mandela: Johnny Clegg's 'Asimbonanga'
Originally published on Tue June 25, 2013 9:09 am
President Jacob Zuma's office said Tuesday that Mandela's "condition remains unchanged in hospital and doctors continue to do their best to ensure his recovery, well-being and comfort."
According to South Africa's News 24, "family members have been seen arriving for a meeting" in Mandela's home village. And it adds that:
"Mandela's eldest daughter Makaziwe has said her father appears to be at peace with himself.
" 'He has given so much to the world. I believe he is at peace.' "
News 24 also reports that "treasured pictures taken with former President Nelson Mandela, inspirational quotes by the anti-apartheid icon, and messages of support to him and his family" are pouring onto social media from South Africans.
Among the tributes getting some attention on the Web is a video of singer Johnny Clegg's 1999 performance of "Asimbonanga" ("we have not seen him"), a song he wrote in 1986 about Mandela — when Mandela was still in prison.
As you'll see, Mandela himself comes on stage to dance.
Clegg's lyrics are here.