Most Active Stories
- Updated: Future of Wind Power in Alabama at a Defining Moment
- Adapted Athletics in Alabama Part 1: The Rolling Tide
- Understanding How Employers May Change Your Retirement Fund
- Hard Times at the Mill: International Paper to Close Courtland Facility
- Bill Would Allow Loaded Guns in Cars Without Concealed Carry Permit
Science & Health
Tue November 13, 2012
VIDEO: In Australia, A Total Solar Eclipse
Originally published on Wed November 14, 2012 10:30 am
There were two minutes of stunning astronomical coincidence over Australia today.
It was a total solar eclipse and the images are just stunning:
The AP reports that people across Australia waited on boats, hot air ballons, hill tops and beaches waiting for the sublime moment. Some worried that clouds would obscure it.
But totality, or the point at which the moon completely covers the surface of the sun, lasted 2 minutes and 5 seconds and it was spectacular.
ABC News posted video of the event as it approached totality: