Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Sun March 3, 2013
VictoryLand Casino Wins Expanded Liquor License
An Alabama casino has won its bid for an expanded liquor license.
The Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control Board says it could not conclude that specific gaming and machines at VictoryLand are illegal. The panel says that question would be up to the courts to decide.
Attorney General Luther Strange believes the ABC decision is moot following a state Supreme Court ruling that the machines don't resemble the game of bingo. Strange said the opinion should end debate about whether electronic bingo is legal.
His office recently seized 1,615 machines in a raid that closed VictoryLand.
Casino attorney Charlanna Spencer said the ABC decision bolsters VictoryLand's argument that the machines are in fact legal.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Business & Education