Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Alabama Civil Rights
Sun February 24, 2013
Vice President to Visit Selma Next Weekend
Organizers of Selma's annual Bridge Crossing Jubilee say Vice President Joe Biden and his wife, Jill Biden, will participate in the events.
Democratic state Sen. Hank Sanders of Selma said Saturday the Bidens will attend a unity brunch and participate in the annual crossing of the Edmund Pettus Bridge on March 3. Sanders said the Bidens will help observe Selma's historic role in the civil rights movement. The Bridge Crossing Jubilee celebrates the Selma-to-Montgomery voting rights march that led to passage of the 1965 Voting Rights Act.
President Bill Clinton attended the event in 2000. The 2007 jubilee attracted then-presidential candidates Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.
The White House has confirmed that the Bidens will be traveling to Selma on March 3.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.