Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
- Texas Governor Deploys State Guard To Stave Off Obama Takeover
Fri July 13, 2012
Uzbek Man Gets More Than 15 years For Obama Threat
A federal judge in Alabama has sentenced a man from Uzbekistan to more than 15 years in prison for plotting to kill President Barack Obama.
U.S. District Judge Abdul K. Kallon imposed the term Friday on Ulugbek Kodirov (OO'-legh-bek KAH'-duh-rahv). He faced up to 30 years in prison.
A defense lawyer argued the 22-year-old Kodirov has accepted responsibility for his actions and is trying to straighten out his life.
Kodirov pleaded guilty in February to plotting to shoot Obama as he campaigned for re-election. Kodirov said he came up with the plan after communicating over the Internet with a man he believed to be a member of an Uzbek Islamic group. Authorities say Kodirov tried to buy a weapon and the potential seller became a government informant.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)