Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Mon February 3, 2014
US Rep. Rogers Under Fire for Controversial Remarks
An Alabama gay and lesbian advocacy organization and the state association of realtors are blasting an Alabama congressman for making statements they consider inappropriate and offensive.
Equality Alabama Chairman Ben Cooper said in a statement that Republican Rep. Mike Rogers told a realtors group in Montgomery how nice it was to be called 'honey' and 'sweetie' by a woman at an Alabama restaurant instead of in a D.C. men's room. Cooper says Rogers also said Washington is a cross between Detroit and San Francisco, and that the remark was an obvious jab at Washington's racial demographics and vibrant gay community.
AL.com reports the Alabama Association of Realtors issued a statement saying Rogers' remarks don't reflect the organization's views, and they'll work to prevent inappropriate remarks at future meetings.