Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Politics & Government
Mon February 3, 2014
US Rep. Rogers Under Fire for Controversial Remarks
An Alabama gay and lesbian advocacy organization and the state association of realtors are blasting an Alabama congressman for making statements they consider inappropriate and offensive.
Equality Alabama Chairman Ben Cooper said in a statement that Republican Rep. Mike Rogers told a realtors group in Montgomery how nice it was to be called 'honey' and 'sweetie' by a woman at an Alabama restaurant instead of in a D.C. men's room. Cooper says Rogers also said Washington is a cross between Detroit and San Francisco, and that the remark was an obvious jab at Washington's racial demographics and vibrant gay community.
AL.com reports the Alabama Association of Realtors issued a statement saying Rogers' remarks don't reflect the organization's views, and they'll work to prevent inappropriate remarks at future meetings.