Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Politics & Government
Mon February 3, 2014
US Rep. Rogers Under Fire for Controversial Remarks
An Alabama gay and lesbian advocacy organization and the state association of realtors are blasting an Alabama congressman for making statements they consider inappropriate and offensive.
Equality Alabama Chairman Ben Cooper said in a statement that Republican Rep. Mike Rogers told a realtors group in Montgomery how nice it was to be called 'honey' and 'sweetie' by a woman at an Alabama restaurant instead of in a D.C. men's room. Cooper says Rogers also said Washington is a cross between Detroit and San Francisco, and that the remark was an obvious jab at Washington's racial demographics and vibrant gay community.
AL.com reports the Alabama Association of Realtors issued a statement saying Rogers' remarks don't reflect the organization's views, and they'll work to prevent inappropriate remarks at future meetings.