Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Tuscaloosa Airport Upgrade
Sun June 29, 2014
Upgrades Planned At Tuscaloosa Municipal Airport
Tuscaloosa city officials are looking to upgrade the Tuscaloosa Municipal Airport.
The Tuscaloosa News city council's finance committee voted to use money from a planned bond issue, anticipated savings from the refinancing of two other bonds and money the town of Vance is paying for a tract of land to finance a portion of the planned upgrades.
The Federal Aviation Administration inspected the airport's secondary runway in March and officials said the striping and markings needed to be removed and replaced.
Tuscaloosa Department of Transportation Director Tera Tubbs says the runway can't withstand the blasting process and will need to be milled, resurfaced and repainted.
The upgrades must be done by Dec. 31 or the airport could lose certification that allows it to handle commercial flights.