Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
Tuscaloosa Airport Upgrade
Sun June 29, 2014
Upgrades Planned At Tuscaloosa Municipal Airport
Tuscaloosa city officials are looking to upgrade the Tuscaloosa Municipal Airport.
The Tuscaloosa News city council's finance committee voted to use money from a planned bond issue, anticipated savings from the refinancing of two other bonds and money the town of Vance is paying for a tract of land to finance a portion of the planned upgrades.
The Federal Aviation Administration inspected the airport's secondary runway in March and officials said the striping and markings needed to be removed and replaced.
Tuscaloosa Department of Transportation Director Tera Tubbs says the runway can't withstand the blasting process and will need to be milled, resurfaced and repainted.
The upgrades must be done by Dec. 31 or the airport could lose certification that allows it to handle commercial flights.