Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Tuscaloosa Airport Upgrade
Sun June 29, 2014
Upgrades Planned At Tuscaloosa Municipal Airport
Tuscaloosa city officials are looking to upgrade the Tuscaloosa Municipal Airport.
The Tuscaloosa News city council's finance committee voted to use money from a planned bond issue, anticipated savings from the refinancing of two other bonds and money the town of Vance is paying for a tract of land to finance a portion of the planned upgrades.
The Federal Aviation Administration inspected the airport's secondary runway in March and officials said the striping and markings needed to be removed and replaced.
Tuscaloosa Department of Transportation Director Tera Tubbs says the runway can't withstand the blasting process and will need to be milled, resurfaced and repainted.
The upgrades must be done by Dec. 31 or the airport could lose certification that allows it to handle commercial flights.