Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
- Texas Governor Deploys State Guard To Stave Off Obama Takeover
Business & Education
Wed July 11, 2012
University of Alabama Hires Texas Tech President
Texas Tech University president Guy Bailey is the new president of the University of Alabama.
Trustees unanimously approved Bailey's hiring during a meeting in Tuscaloosa on Wednesday. The Montgomery native says he's honored to be returning to his alma mater.
Search committee chairwoman Karen Brooks says it's a ``bonus'' that Bailey is an Alabama graduate.
Bailey has been president at Texas Tech since 2008. At Alabama he replaces Robert Witt, who is now chancellor of the three-campus University of Alabama System.
Details on Bailey's pay at Alabama weren't available. A university spokeswoman says those are being worked out. Texas Tech says Bailey had a salary and benefits package worth $422,637 last year, and he received $152,000 in deferred compensation.
Texas Tech and Alabama have roughly the same enrollment, about 32,000.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)