Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri September 19, 2003
Unemployment rates stay steady
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Alabama's unemployment rate is holding steady. August was the fourth consecutive month the rate has remained at five-point-seven percent. Department of Industrial Relations director Phyllis Kennedy says that represents about 122 thousand unemployed Alabamians. Shelby and Blount counties recorded the lowest jobless rates at two-point-five percent and three-point-four percent, respectively. Wilcox and Washington counties have the state's highest unemployment rates at 16-point-one percent each. Kennedy says Alabama's overall rate has been lower than the national rate every month this year.