Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri August 20, 2004
Unemployment Rate Rises
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – The state's unemployment rate rose last month to five-point-seven percent. That's almost half a percentage point higher than June's rate of five-point-three. Phyllis Kennedy, director of the Department of Industrial Relations, says the new rate represents about 122-thousand-500 unemployed Alabamians. Washington County once again recorded the highest unemployment rate at 17-point-eight percent. And, as usual, Shelby County had the state's lowest at two-point-four percent.