Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Around the Nation
Wed September 4, 2013
UMass Breaks Record For Largest Fruit Salad
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Renee Montagne. For years, unhealthy cafeteria food has been blamed for the infamous weight gain known as the Freshman 15. This week, incoming students at the University of Massachusetts Amherst were greeted this week with 15,000 pounds of fresh fruit. It was the world's largest fruit salad - setting a Guinness record - served from a small swimming pool with shovel, one way to respond to surveys showing thousands of campus diners want more fruits and vegetables. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.