Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Fri June 27, 2014
Ukraine Extends Cease-Fire With Pro-Russia Separatists
Originally published on Fri June 27, 2014 6:20 pm
The Ukraine government today extended a weeklong cease-fire with pro-Russia separatists for another three days.
The announcement on President Petro Poroshenko's website said that Ukraine forces would stand down for an additional 72 hours, until 10 p.m. Monday.
The Associated Press says:
"The announcement came shortly after Poroshenko returned to Kiev from Brussels where he signed a landmark free trade deal at a European Union summit.
"The cease-fire extension had been undertaken, it said, in line with a deadline set by EU leaders for Ukrainian rebels to agree to cease-fire verification arrangements, return border checkpoints to Kiev authorities and free hostages including detained monitors of the OSCE rights and security watchdog."