Most Active Stories
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Michelle Obama delivers Commencement Address at Tuskegee
- Lang Lang In Concert At The Met Museum
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Tue June 17, 2014
UAB To Launch New Human Rights Institute
University of Alabama Birmingham officials say the school has been approved to move forward with creating a new human rights institute.
The University of Alabama System Board of Trustees approved the proposal late last week. UAB provost Linda Lucas tells AL.com university officials believe the site will become an internationally recognized institute that will explore history, justice, public health, the environment and education.
Officials say the institute will also serve as an interdisciplinary research center and will create training programs for business and government organizations in the areas of diversity awareness, sexual harassment prevention and workplace communication.