Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Tue June 17, 2014
UAB To Launch New Human Rights Institute
University of Alabama Birmingham officials say the school has been approved to move forward with creating a new human rights institute.
The University of Alabama System Board of Trustees approved the proposal late last week. UAB provost Linda Lucas tells AL.com university officials believe the site will become an internationally recognized institute that will explore history, justice, public health, the environment and education.
Officials say the institute will also serve as an interdisciplinary research center and will create training programs for business and government organizations in the areas of diversity awareness, sexual harassment prevention and workplace communication.