Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Business & Education
Thu May 9, 2013
UAB, 4 Community College Launch Partnership
The University of Alabama Birmingham has launched a partnership with four community colleges allowing students who earn an associate's degree automatic admission to UAB and a $2,000 per year scholarship.
AL.com reports (http://bit.ly/16ijqVT ) UAB President Ray Watts announced the partnership Wednesday with leaders from Gadsden State, Jefferson State, Lawson State and Wallace State-Hanceville.
Officials say students participating in the program will have access to UAB facilities and staff - including counselors at the four community colleges who will help get students ready to transition to UAB during their junior year.
Watts says the partnership will make students more competitive in the global economy and 75 students have already accepted offers to participate in the program when it launches in the fall.