Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri August 20, 2004
UA Wants Bryant Statue Moved From Legion Field to Tuscaloosa
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – The Crimson Tide is leaving Legion Field, but the University of Alabama wants to take a Bear Bryant monument when it goes. U-A Athletics director Mal Moore says the school will ask the city of Birmingham for permission to move the monument to Tuscaloosa from Legion Field. Legion Field manager Walter Garrett says he's not familiar with the request. The University and Birmingham ended their contract for Legion Field Thursday, saying structural problems with the upper deck would prevent Alabama from playing two final games that were scheduled at the 77-year-old stadium. Crimson Tide lettermen paid to have the Bryant monument built there in the 1980s.